Monday, January 11, 2010

Abalone Porridge (jeon-bak juk)

The past two days I've been working on this new layout. I got the layout from Blogger Templates and had to re-add all the side profiles. I don't know how you bloggers do it in such a short time. I know I'm html illiterate... lol~ :X Please be patient I'll eventually add all the blog links into the blog roll... hehe~ I wanted a new layout with the start of the new year. I think the layout is pretty!... wheee~ :)

I wanted to post a recipe during this winter weather. I think this is a good one... hehe~

If you need some guidance with the ingredients, you can check my Korean Cooking 101. ;)

Ingredients:
1 c. rice
water
2-3 abalone
1-2 carrots
1-2 tbsp. sesame oil
chopped garlic
7-9 c. water
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. fish sauce
dried seaweed
chopped green onion

Step 1:

Wash your white rice and soak it in water for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, you can drain the water out.

Step 2:
Wash the abalone and cut it into small pieces. You will also need to wash the carrot and cut that into small pieces as well.
In a pot (you need with a lid), add sesame oil and garlic. I usually don't add a lot of sesame oil because it has a tangy taste to the porridge I don't like. It requires 2 tbsp but I usually use 1. It is up to you on that... hehe~ Wait until it heats up, and then add the chopped abalone and carrot. Fry it for couple of minutes.
Then add the drained rice from step 1. Fry it for couple of more minutes.
Add the water and cover the pot so the rice can be cooked. You need to check every so minutes with a wooden spoon so the rice won't stick to the bottom of the pot. Towards the end of the cooking, add salt and fish sauce. You will add to your taste bud. ;)
When the porridge is done, transfer it to a bowl. I top it with dried seaweed (toast it on the stove and cut it into small pieces) and green onion. Now you can eat. :)


I bought couple of things in the past month from Victoria's Secret.
I bought these lipglosses in December. My oldest niece was the greatest help in choosing which ones I should get... hehe~ :) I got from left to right; Wondermelon, Have a Gumball, Taffy Go Lucky, Grapefruit Blast, and Slice of Heaven. I only opened one and love (I mean LOVE) the smell. It's delicious!!!... wheee~ I didn't open the others because I'm not too sure what I'm going to do with all of them. I might use all of them because they smell great or who knows I might give it away to friends as gifts... hehe~ ;)

I also bought some lip balms during their semi-annual sale. Jannie mentioned how great they are. You should check out her blog. :) After reading her post on these lip balms, I couldn't refuse when they're on sale for $1.75 each... wheee~
I got one in BananaBerry. I love products with banana in it for some odd reason. I always think they smell good. I hope this one does... wheee~
I also got one in Berry Blender. I just love the multi-colored lip balms... hehe~ I can't say how I feel about these babies yet. It'll have to wait until I finish my lip balm I'm using at the moment (Etude House thanks to a friend). I'm very good when it comes to not opening my lip balms until it gets it's use... hehe~ I wish I could say the same for other stuff. :X


One of the things I look forward to towards the end of the year/beginning of the New Year is the Korean music awards (KBS, MBC, and SBS gayo daejun). I realized the singer/group I loved in 2009 was 2 pm!!! :) Here's some of the songs I love... hehe~

Again and Again:


I Hate You:


Heartbeat:


They also performed some of the female songs during the SBS award show, and I thought 2 pm looked mighty cute... hehe~ :)

Mister originally by Kara, but performed by Beat and 2 pm:


Bo Peep Bo Peep by T-ara, but performed by 2 pm:


Disclaimer: The products mentioned in this post are bought with my own money. I am not affiliated with any company nor getting paid to advertise any products. This post is written with my honest opinion.

Credit: YouTube

12 comments:

Jem said...

OMG!

you only got it for $1.75?!
what a bargain!
how awesome
^_^

thanks for the tut, i can now make my own abalone porridge.
yay!

great layout,hun!
^_^

Kalmo said...

Hi Ahleessa!!

It's been forever since I've been on blogger and your blog is one of the first ones I headed for. ^^ I look forward to catching up and reading all your past posts that I missed while I was MIA.

I agree that your new layout is pretty and very whimsical if I do say so myself haha. Mmm your cooking posts are the best and I'm so hungry now! I looove Korean food, had some yesterday.

Oh nice lippie haul, I agree that Beauty Rush glosses do smell great.
I'm not Korean but I love listening to Korean songs and watchiing K-drama online. XD

Jannie said...

hey, ahleessa! wow. that porridge you made looks yummy. that sure would be perfect for this winter weather. :) i'm glad it's warming up a little outside. i hope it can stay that way. hehe...

i see that you got yourself some beauty rush lippies. i'm so happy some of their lip balms went down to $1.75. i bought two more yesterday and i got the banana berry one too. :D products with banana in them do smell good. makes me want a smoothie with banana in it now. hehe... the berry blender one smells good too. i keep one in my drawer and another in my purse because i'm THAT obsessed, i guess. hehe...

looks like your blogroll is working. that's to the right, right? i see my link there, so thank you for the add. i put you on my links too. :) as for no7 lipsticks, i like how they work. at first, i was kinda reluctant to try them because i don't really know the brand too well. finally, when they were 30% off, i decided to give it a go and ended up loving them. i like how it feels light on the lips and it's not waxy compared to other lipsticks. plus, the colors are pretty too. :)

haha... sorry i left such a long comment here. take care. the new look here is very pretty with the purple and gray. :)

Bijin Blair said...

Yummm! I love porridge/congee =D

You've returned Sunset Sedona? That's fast lol~

So far I've seen Dolly Wink on Ichibankao. Not sure about the other online shops..

FriendzCentury said...

Thanks for the great recipe, will definitely give it a try. I watched the Korean music awards too, gotta give 2PM the thumbs up for the "Heartbeat" song...it's been in my head for days.

Zoe said...

Thanks for the recipe, I so love Korean food.I also like 2pm's songs infact Nichkhun is so popular here since he is Thai.

Answering ur question, my dad is Thai and my mom is Iranian^^

Nunu said...

New layout!nice!haha isn't btemplates great?and I know what you mean about all the adjusting you have to do, Google helps xD
Abalone congee!!!yummy!!I should really try out all these great recipes you have, I do love Korean food.
With re to the Body Shop makeup, their stuff is a bit of a hit or miss, they do have some great stuff, like that marble blush I got is SUPER pigmented n reminds me a lot of MAC Grand Duos but without the frostiness that they had. On the other hand their mascara suck. It does NOT dry and each time you blink, your upper and lower lashes will stick together. I read a lot of reviews and did a lot of in store swatching before I got the things that I got xD

Shop N' Chomp said...

Hi Ahleessa! Yum...I love juk! Yours look so delish. :D What a great VS haul. I wish I had made it to the semi-annual sale. Those lippies are so cute!

Nunu said...

I used http://www.bloggerbuster.com for html help when I changed my template. it's really quite helpful!Did you save the coding for all your gadgets before you changed?
Just let me know if you need any help, I am in no ways knowledgeable but I can always pick my bf's brains for you xD
You should go check your mall's body shop!They're having a 3 for $15 sale right now!

Unknown said...

I love abalone! Thanks for the recipe! I went to the VS sale but did not buy anything. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the stuff I have so I need a break :)

Fabuless Beauty said...

And how do you like the VS lip glosses?

Jannie said...

hey, ahleessa. about the rain, we're having a few sprinkles right now in SD. is it raining where you're at? i enjoyed the sunshine while it lasted. hope it comes back soon.

i got another balm from vs, but the one from a pot. i was surprised it was $1.75 too. i'm going to look for more $1.75 finds. the lippies are so addicting. to answer your question of how many vs balms i have, i have about 7. :) too bad the vs in my area ran out of the double balmsticks though. i wanted to get another yellow one. one can never have too many beauty rush lippies. hehehe...

take care and enjoy your day. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...